Tuesday, January 26, 2010

In My Own Words

For my English class we had an assignment to translate one of the translations of a Sappho poem. Who is Sappho...mmm I honestly don't know. I should do so investigating on that. Any way, I am pretty darn proud of my translation. I really like to write poetry but it usually takes quite some time for me to write what I feel. But,with this it was so easy, perhaps because I was rewriting it. I still think i did a darn good job. So see for yourself...

The Original Translation
by Diane Rayor:
To me it seems
That man has the fortune of the gods,
Whoever sits beside you, and close,
Who listens to you sweetly speaking
And laughing temptingly;
My heart flutters in my breast,
Whenever I look quickly, for a moment—
I say nothing, my tongue broken,
A delicate fire runs under my skin,
My eyes see nothing, my ears roar,
Cold sweat rushes down me,
Trembling seizes me,
I am greener than grass
To myself I seem
Neding but little to die. But all must be endured, since.....



My Translation

Beautiful coated brown skin
captivating eyes
It seems as though this man,
This man sitting opposite of I
is as good as it gets, a god.
He speaks…
sweetly gracing my ears with the beauty of his voice
He laughs….
tenderly thrilling my ears with his laughter.
My stomach sinks.
I can’t speak.
Nerves take over
All while a rush of cold sweat glides down me.
I’m as pale as dying grass,
Dying…
it seems that is my reaction to this man
But all must be endured.


No comments:

Post a Comment